Encounter everyday life in a new way
The main objectives of occupational therapy are regaining and/or maintaining the empowerment in everyday life and hence increasing the quality of life.
Occupational therapy relates to everyday life at home and to daily routine at work as well as to the organization of recreational activities.
The therapist analyzes the current situation of the patient with regard to his individual decision-making and responsibility, plan and specifically run corresponding occupational therapy schemes.
Occupational therapy methods and activities:
On the level of body function
- Training of sensorimotor functions according to neurophysiological treatment concepts (Bobath, Affolter, Mirror Therapy, modified CIMT, Neurodynamics, PNF, Perfetti)
- Training of cognitive functions in learning situations specifically designed for the patient (V. Schweizer, PRPP, HoDT, Kerkhoff, PC-supported with Freshminder, Eyemove)
- Producing and adapting splints and redression plasters
On the level of activities
- Assistance in basic activities of daily life such as personal hygiene, dressing, eating, …
- Assistance in extended everyday activities such as housekeeping, job-specific activities, active leisure activities, managing the business of everyday life, …
- Assistance in socio-emotional skills in group dynamics interaction e.g. preparing breakfast, doing handcrafts, gardening/cultivating the garden, …
On the level of participation
- Advice for aids and their adaptation
- Home environment counseling
- Advising and instructing family members